Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Memory Consolidation

After reading Schacter I began to think about sleeping and the effects it may have on memory consolidation of autobiographical memories. Aside from long term memory consolidation I wonder whether or not sleep plays a role in all forms of memory consolidation. In music class when I was younger, our teacher told us to sing the songs that we had learned in class that day before falling asleep and we would remember them better. Ever since then, I have gone over things I need to remember right before falling asleep and it has always helped to solidify them in my mind. Music certainly doesn't fall into the episodic autobiographical memory realm. I wonder if the sleeping on it approach works for kinesthetic memories and learning specific tasks.

No comments: