Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Pillemer

In the chapter by Pillemer, I was most interested in the dual memory model. The idea that there are two parts to your memory, one which saves a picture of the event and another which saves the story seems very true to my experiences. When I remember an event, what first comes to my mind is what seems like a snapshot of the event. Right after that the stories of the event come flooding back. This theory also seems to describe many problems that I have experienced with my own memory and that have been touched on in many of the readings we have done. I have noticed in my own memory, that when remembering an event, I feel inclined to remember things a little differently than the probable reality because I factor into that memory information that I have since learned. Memories are perpetually chagned by experiences that have occured after them. This dual model seems to offer an explanation for how memories can seem so real to people even when they are actually a distorted reality. Whenever I have a visual image of an event in my head it seems like a valid memory, so then whatever story comes with it automatically seems credible. In that way, it seems that memories could get distorted all the time and people would not know because their visual image is credible. I wonder if other people have similar experiences with their visual and verbal memories.

1 comment:

Julia Petre said...

I definitely think this chapter ties into the idea of false memories. It's interesting to me the impression that parents really have on their children. Whether they are aware of it or not, I think the stories told to children when growing up, or even now, create these false images, that need explanations like you mentioned. I know that for myself, I don't actually remember going to see my brother after he was born, but I have a distinct image and story in my mind about doing it. This is one of the rare cases in my memory, I think, where I am aware the memory is one I've created off of stories.